Subreddits on Reddit may get you exhausted sometimes so one of our regular readers has asked us how to unsubscribe from default subreddits. Well, this is an interesting question so we have decided to address this issue. So, let us begin.
What is a subreddit on Reddit … and Why Should You Care?
Today, we’re going to figure out what subreddits are and how they work. Subreddits are a powerful network of niche communities that define Reddit as a whole.
A subreddit is basically the same thing as a niche forum.
- Specific rules
- Voting systems for links, self-posts, and comments that depend on the theme
Each subreddit has a main topic, and for the most part, it stays on topic.
For example, the subreddit /r/buildapc (for questions, feedback, and help with building a PC) would delete a post or link about a deal on computer parts, which belongs in /r/buildapcsales. See how that could be confusing to someone who just joined Reddit? These are different subreddits, each with its own rules, moderators, and content.
There are now tens of thousands of these forums. Anyone can make a subreddit for free and decide if they want it to be public or not.
How To Unsubscribe From Default Subreddits? 4 Quick & Easy Steps
- Open a web browser and go to https://www.reddit.com. You can get to Reddit with any web browser, such as Firefox or Safari.
- Sign in to your Reddit account now if you haven’t already.
- Click MY SUBREDDITS. It’s in the top left corner of the screen.
- Click EDIT SUBSCRIPTIONS. A list of the subreddits you follow will show up.
- Click the unsubscribe next to the subreddit you want to leave. It’s the red button that’s to the left of the name of the subreddit. Since you’ve already unsubscribed, the link you clicked will now say “subscribe” instead of “unsubscribe.”
How to Delete a Reddit Account: Ultimate Guide
First Things to Think About
What happens to your account when you delete it?
When you delete your account, does all of your personal information go away?
What information is taken out of the digital space when you delete an account, and what stays there? When people want to leave Reddit, this is exactly what they worry about, especially when it comes to their personally identifiable information (PII). If you delete your account, will your personal information still be there?
Well, not really, because posts and comments don’t just disappear on their own. If any of these contain information about you, this information can stay on the platform. Probably not the best thing that could happen. Can you get a copy of your personal information? You can’t do it on your own. To get it, you will have to contact the platform.
Are deleting and turning off the same thing?
Deactivation on Reddit is the same as deletion, so yes, they are the same. Reddit doesn’t have a way for you to temporarily turn off your account.
Can you turn your account back on later?
Once an account is deleted, it can never be brought back. Once a username is given, it can never be used again by anyone else. So, make sure you really want to delete your Reddit account, because you can’t get it back.
With a Reddit Premium Subscription
- If you bought a subscription with an Apple ID, go to the Manage Subscriptions section of the Apple App Store, find Reddit Premium in the list of subscriptions, and cancel it. Or, you can do this from the Account Settings on your device.
- If you bought the subscription through Google Play, you can cancel it by going to the Subscriptions section of Google Play and choosing Reddit Premium from the list of subscriptions.
- If you paid for your subscription with PayPal, go to the Payments section of your PayPal account. Select Preapproved Payments from the Payment Settings menu. Choose “Reddit Premium” from the list of subscriptions and then click “Cancel.”
- If you bought a subscription with a credit card, log in to reddit.com and go to the Reddit Premium section of User Settings to cancel it.
Go to your account and sign in.
- Next to Overview at the top of the page, click on Posts.
- Click on the three dots below your post to open the overflow menu, where you’ll find the option to delete your post.
- To get rid of the post, click on it. Same thing with any comments.
How to Get Rid of Your Reddit Profile
- Find User Settings below Profile in the top right corner of your screen.
- Click on User Settings and then scroll down the page until you see the red “Deactivate Account” button.
Click on Account Deactivate. Reddit will show you a popup asking why you want to deactivate your account, but you don’t have to answer. Type in your email address and password. Mark the box that says, “I understand that deactivated accounts can’t be brought back.” The Deactivate button will be able to be clicked on, so do that to move forward.
You will get another pop-up asking you to confirm that you want to close the account. To finish the deletion, click on Deactivate.
If you signed up for your account with your Google or Apple ID, go to the Connected Accounts section and click “Disconnect” next to the Google or Apple ID you used to sign up.